While everyone desires to have thick and natural hair, many are facing issues of losing hair to a wide extend. Factors that cause common hair loss include genetic reasons, hormonal imbalance, poor diet, and stress. Over half of the population around the world suffers from irreversible hair loss or androgenetic alopecia. This causes hair loss up to 200-300 strands per day and decreases the hair growth rate. Since androgenetic alopecia is permanent and irreversible, hair transplantation is the only solution to this medical condition.
WHAT IS HAIR TRANSPLANT?
Hair transplantation is a permanent solution to hair loss, which is durable and reliable. This surgical technique guarantees hair restoration for hair loss due to various reasons including burn and scars. During the hair transplant process, hair follicles from the donor site are removed and transplanted to the balding part known as recipient site under local anesthesia. This technique can be used in the hair loss areas that include eyelashes, eyebrows, beard hair, etc. and to conceal scars caused due to accidents or surgeries. There are numerous techniques to conduct hair transplantation. Almeka provides advanced treatments for hair loss accounting for it to be one of the best hair care centers in Kochi. We, at Almeka, use the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique to conduct hair transplantation surgery.
FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION (FUE)
In this hair transplantation technique individual hair follicles from a donor site, mainly from the back are extracted and then implanted in the affected areas. Implantation of the hair follicles must be done with utmost care and precision to get the best results. FUE method is painless and leaves micro-scars which are healed quickly after the surgery.
FUE is done at a micro-level under local anesthesia, removing microscopic strokes of hair follicles between 0.6mm and 1.0mm in diameter. Micro blades and fine tools are used by surgeons to conduct the surgery. Follicles are implanted in a predetermined pattern to create a realistic hair growth pattern.
FUE can be conducted in a single medical sitting or multiple sessions according to the intensity of hair fall and experience of the surgeon. Patients eligible for FUE treatment are selected based on a fox test. Minimal scars and natural results are the major advantages of the FUE technique compared to other hair transplantation methods.
The recovery period after FUE surgery is short and painless and ideal for youngsters facing heavy hair loss.
PROCEDURES OF HAIR TRANSPLANTATION
- Local anesthesia is given to the patient
- A circular incision (less than 1mm in diameter) around a follicular unit is made using a microneedle
- This follicular unit is extracted using a tweezers-like tool.
- Tiny holes are made on affected areas of the scalp.
- Extracted follicular units are placed in these holes. Hair growth happens at this place.
- Disinfectant is applied to head after surgery
AFTER HAIR TRANSPLANT
Hair transplantation under FUE is permanent and safe. After the surgery, existing strands of hair will shed and new finer and healthier hair strands will grow from the harvested area. Patients must avoid heavy work out for a few days post-surgery. They will be asked to wear a medical cap to protect their heads from infections for a few days. Sleeping positions of patients must be changed for a few days according to the instructions of the doctor. One must avoid consuming cold food, coffee, smoking cigarettes, and alcohol during the post-surgical period. FUE is a reliable method of hair transplantation causing no post-surgical pains or discomforts. FUE at Almeka is conducted by well-experienced surgeons, guaranteeing you an efficient service of hair restoration.
WHEN TO CONDUCT FUE
We recommend our patients to consult our panel of trichologists or dermatologists to have an idea about the intensity and stages of hair loss. It is ideal to conduct FUE at an early stage of heavy hair loss before developing complete baldness.
ADVANTAGES OF FUE
- Suitable for men and women
- Painless and effective
- Effective in areas other than the scalp, such as beard, eyebrows, and eyelashes
- Invisible scars
- Hair growth is constant.
- Ideal for people with tight scalp
- Less hair is extracted during the process
SIDE EFFECTS OF HAIR TRANSPLANTING
- Bleeding: scars caused due to surgery can cause bleeding for a few days on the scalp
- Infection: scars when exposed to excessive pollution or other external conditions can cause infection. Proper care must be taken to protect post-surgical scars.
- Swelling of the scalp: in rare cases, the action of extraction may lead to swelling of the scalp
- Itching: exposure to an infectious external atmosphere could cause itchiness around the donor and recipient site.
- In some cases, a crust will be formed on the areas of extraction or implantation.