Stretch Mark (striae) is a kind of scar that develops gradually when our skin stretches or shrinks rapidly. They are often seen on the abdomen, hips, breasts, buttocks, and thighs. They may seem to be in red, purple or silver in appearance. The sudden changes cause the collagen and elastin (the supporting structures of the skin) to crack. Stretch Marks are common in pregnancy, but this can be developed in any person over some time. Some people are more vulnerable to them. This can also arise as a hereditary issue, which may be seen over the previous generations.
Not every individual develops stretch marks on their skin. By undergoing treatment stretch marks can fade, but it won’t completely remove them. Fluctuation in hormone levels can also be an immediate cause for stretch marks. Stretch Marks are most commonly seen during the following period:-
- Growth spurt occurring at the time of adolescent age
- During the gestation period
- Weight loss or gain happening in a short time
- Weight training when one experiences sudden muscle growth
All stretch marks are not identical or similar. Each varies depending on the longevity of having them, what caused them to occur, on which part of the body they appear, and the type of skin. Usual symptoms may include the appearance of:-
- Red, Black, Purple, Pink or Blue streaks
- Bright lines that fade to a lighter colour
- Streaks covering over the large areas of the body
Stress can also be a major factor, which affects the level of cortisone leading to stretch marks. It may also be caused due to a genetic tendency.
Stretch marks are detected based on a thorough examination carried on your skin and scrutinizing your medical history. If there is an increase in your cortisone level, then one may have to undergo certain additional tests.
Stretch Marks and Treatment in Kochi
we provide stretch Marks Treatment in Kochi. If you’re seeking treatments for stretch marks, then one must be aware that treatments are only partially effective and won’t eliminate them. Following are the treatment to remove stretch marks:-
- Light and laser therapies – Light and laser therapies are available to help to raise the level of collagen or elastin in your skin.
- Microdermabrasion – It involves the treatment of a handheld device that releases crystal onto the skin. These crystals then gently remove a fine layer of the skin.
- Retinoid cream – Ointments may be applied onto your skin to improve the stretch marks and making the skin look normal.
Stretch marks usually become less noticeable and start to diminish over time. The most effective way to reduce the possibility of getting stretch marks is to maintain a healthy diet and weight.